Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Making Apple Cider Wine

Last time I went to the grocery store I came across a couple of gallons of fresh apple cider.  I wanted to make some apple wine this fall and I finally had my opportunity.  The apple cider was pasteurized, but didn't have any preservatives that would interfere with the fermentation process, so I bought them on the spot and gleefully took home my prize.  For less than $20 I will be able to make at least 7 bottles of delicious wine!

For the basic recipe I did a very short Internet search and came across this recipe:
How to Make Apple Wine.  I already had everything I needed from my previous experiments in wine making.  The only thing I changed was the amount of sugar I used.  I determined that what I thought were full gallons of apple wine were only 3/4 of a gallon, so I adjusted the recipe to make 1 1/2 gallons of wine instead of 2.  I mixed everything but the yeast in my largest stainless steel bowl, stirring until everything dissolved in the cider.  I covered this with a clean cloth and will let it sit for 24 hours before I add the yeast.  Five days after I add the yeast I will then transfer the fermenting cider to my glass carboys where they will ferment until they use up all the sugar in the cider.  In only a couple of months I will be bottling my first batch of apple cider wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment