Sunday, October 25, 2015

What I Like About Homesteading

Everyone has their own ideas about exactly what it means to be a homesteader.  Truth is that the journey to being a homesteader has many steps, and many of us have only just begun our journey.  Many of us dream of owning our own land, but finances or life circumstances pose a significant barrier.  Some of us are happy just to grow a small garden patch to supplement what we can buy at the store.  Some of us are full fledged farmers.  It doesn't matter which step you are on in the journey because the motivation to work towards the goal of self sufficiency remains the same.

I like the idea of homesteading because it gives me a way to live gently on this planet.  I like being able to go to my backyard and gather enough to eat.  I know the food I grow is raised in a natural way and doesn't spend any time in storage or being hauled across miles of countryside.  I know what goes into my canned goods because I am in charge of the ingredients.  I like knowing that my garden is helping to build healthy soil, which in turn make me healthier too.  I like the challenge of trying to help a landscape reach it's fullest potential.  I like how the frugality of the lifestyle helps me save money towards my bigger goals in life.  I like the thousands of others just like me who are doing their best to follow a similar path, and are happy to share their knowledge along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment