Saturday, January 9, 2016

Things To Do To Conserve Water

Since I live in a semi arid climate I am trying to be more concious of my water habits.  There are many small things one can do to use less water on a daily basis.

1. Take fast showers and don't shower every day.  Every minute the water is flowing is gallons down the drain.  I try to keep my showers under 10 minutes. (My hair is pretty long, so rinsing does take some time)

2.  Don't leave the water running when brushing teeth.

3.  Wash dishes by hand in a tub.  I find that I can wash a counter full of dishes in a gallon or so of water.  Most dishwashers would take several gallons of water and still not get the dishes as clean as when washed by hand.

4. Reuse water when possible.  I give my pets fresh water everyday so there is always a good portion that would go down the drain if I didn't reuse it.  I pour the old water out into a bucket and use that water to water my houseplants.  I also use a bucket to catch water as the shower warms up.  In the summer this will supplement my garden watering.

5.  Don't flush every time you go to the bathroom.  Each flush uses gallons of water.  I follow the saying, "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down."

6.  Use water conserving garden techniques such as drip irrigation and heavy mulching.  In my area these are important for a healthy garden because the ground is prone to drying out very quickly.

7.  Don't water the garden in the heat of the day.  I think the best time to water the garden is just as the sun is setting.  That gives the plants the entire cooler night to absorb water before it has a chance to evaporate away.

8. Wash only full loads of laundry.  I can get away with washing one to two loads a week.

When it comes down to it, every little drop really does count and water can be used several times before it goes down the drain or is evaporated away.  Anything you can do to reduce your water comsuption will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment