Sunday, July 9, 2017

Increasing Wine Making Capacity: My New Carboys

I was surprised how quickly the plum wine disappeared after it was bottled in November.  Of course I took it to a few holiday parties and shared bottles with friends and gave some away as gifts, but those 22 bottles were gone in a hurry.  This year I was already planning on making several batches of wine starting with early spring.  In years past I have made a few small batches of dandelion wine, but it had a dry taste that I don't care for.  I may still make some in a smaller jug for friends, but won't keep much of that for myself.

Ideally I should have a carboy for each batch of wine I want to make throughout the year, so I had been thinking that I should get another large carboy anyway.  I was happy I was able to visit to a nearby brew supply shop where I found my second six gallon glass carboy for only $50!  I am still thinking about making multiple batches of wine this year, but now I will be able to make double batches of each variety!  Guess I had better start collecting more bottles from friends!


The second carboy I came across was given to me by a friend that had been watching on the local sale pages for a glass carboy for me.  The got a great deal and got a 5 gallon carboy, a couple of fermenting buckets, a bottle capper, and some suction tubing for racking batches of wine.  All of that for only $20!  And they were nice enough to gift it to me!

I still only have one primary fermenting bucket, but since the fruit only stays in that bucket for a few days, I should be able to use it for multiple batches in the same season.  Now to keep my eyes peeled for fresh fruit at the local farmer's market.

No comments:

Post a Comment