Thursday, October 12, 2017

Chicken Socialization

The three chicks that hatched in July have been growing steadily.  These were the chicks that had the sweet rooster as a father and I have made a point to handle them everyday.  They seem to share is his friendly disposition so raising this batch of chicks has been a lot of fun.  There is one in particular that seems to love my attention.  She always come running every time I open their pen and flies up to say hello.  She tends to snuggle into my lap for a few minutes and actually seems to enjoy being petted.  I have to say that even though the rooster was sweet, he never went out of his way to snuggle like this.

I try to not get attached to the chickens but I can make an exception for a sweet hen.  She won't ever be a true pet, but she might get a free card to live out her days if she remains this friendly.  Besides, who wouldn't want a calm, friendly genetic line in their flock?


No comments:

Post a Comment