Friday, June 8, 2018

Hatching Eggs: Round Two

I had planned on hatching a second batch of chicks this year and now that my flock has lost a couple more hens I feel inclined to hatch a few extra....just in case.  This round I am putting 20 eggs into the incubator.  My hatch rate tends to run about 50% so I expect to get around 10 chicks from this batch.  If I get more then it shouldn't be a big deal.  I only have two roosters from the last batch of chicks and I was hoping to get more for my freezer than that.  I also want to cull a few of the older hens.  I have some that have been pecking and eating eggs and I would really like that to stop.  I think I know who the main culprits are and those are the ones I will be needing to replace.

With my new chicken coop I will have room for about twenty to twenty-five hens.  I don't think that I need that many and unless they lay eggs all through winter, I don't really want to feed that many. My ideal flock size would be fifteen hens and one rooster.  That should provide me with enough eggs for me to eat and extra to sell to pay for their feed.  Right now my flock is down to seven laying hens and three pullets that should start laying in another month or so.  Six of the seven hens are going on three years old so bringing in younger hens should balance the productivity of my flock.

No comments:

Post a Comment