Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Post Planting Cold Snap

The weather in the mountains never ceases to amaze me.  I thought we had wild temperature swings when I lived in the midwest, but once the weather got warm out there, it generally stayed that way until fall.  Here in the mountains we can have a few weeks of beautiful weather and temps in the 80's followed by days of wind, cold rain, and at some elevations, snow.  This year this cold snap came around just a week after the last average frost date for my area.  I know that the average frost date is just an average, but the warm temps that had been teasing me for the couple of weeks before the frost date lulled me into a false sense of security.  My garden was planted the week after mother's day.  This week I am crossing my fingers that the squash, cucumbers and beans don't germinate until things warm back up again.  I am also praying that the temps don't actually dip below freezing, or I will likely lose my corn, tomatillos, peppers and tomatoes.
The peppers and the tomatoes have been covered by a makeshift green house that will hopefully keep them alive through the cold snap.  The corn and the tomatillos will have to fend for themselves as I don't have enough hoops and rebar stakes to construct the low tunnels that could protect them.  Depending on how cold it gets over the next couple nights, things could get rough out in the garden. 

If I need to replant corn it shouldn't be a big deal, but the ones that have already come up have grown two inches tall and had a great head start on the growing season. 

The tomatillos seem to grow pretty fast so if I do need to replant them, they shouldn't be too far behind by the time summer reaches full force.  In a few days I will know what made it and what didn't.  In the mean time I will try to think positive.  Plants can be hardier than you expect and while this cold snap may stress some of them, if they make it through they will probably go on to become really good producers.

No comments:

Post a Comment