Sunday, November 1, 2015

Garden Tools

My tool list for gardening is fairly short and simple and to the point.  I have a shovel, a flat rake, a potato fork, a trowel and gloves.  It is my intention to live simply on the earth so I do not plan on using any type of power tools in my garden, which means no tiller.  I have read that tilling actually forms a compact layer deep in the soil that can actually be detrimental to plant growth, so I want to avoid that if at all possible.  It may mean more physical labor in the beginning, but I think the benefits are worth it.

I do plan on trying to use a minimal or no till method of gardening, so after the first year or two I may not have much need for a shovel either.  In the creation of the garden, however, the shovel is essential.  I am using it to turn over the soil and add compost, which will aerate the soil and make the soil loose and fluffy which helps plants to push their roots deep into the earth to absorb nutrients.  I am also using the shovel to remove rocks.  My yard seems to have an abundance of smooth river rock just 3-6 inches beneath the surface and removing those will be quite the chore.  The shovel works fairly well for prying them free from their shallow prisons and working the soil in the following years should be much easier.

The flat rake is used to level the beds and make a smooth surface for sowing seeds.  The tines of the rake also come in handy when trying to plant small seeds in straight rows.  Just drag the rake down the bed and suddenly you have twelve evenly spaced rows for planting.  Flip the rake over and drag it over the seeds and everything is covered nicely in one swipe.

The potato fork is mostly self explanatory.  It is used to lift potatoes from the soil, but it is also useful for digging onions, garlic, and carrots.  It could also be used to turn the soil and dig out plants that are done for the season.

A trowel comes in handy for all kinds of general planting.  My trowel has measurements marked on the side of the blade so it helps to make sure I am planting seeds at the correct depth.  I also use it when I am transplanting seedlings or digging out deep rooted weeds.

All in all, my garden tool collection is rather modest.  In the future I may add in a hoe to help with weeding, but for now I think I can live without it.  One of the most important tools I will be using is the hose.  I do plan on working out some form of drip irrigation for my garden, but I haven't quite decided if I am going to use a soaker hose, or fashion something from PVC pipe or old garden hoses.  I need to do a little more research and maybe a little experimenting before I settle on my irrigation scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment