Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Ouray Perimeter Trail

Today was a hot one and I didn't have to work, so I decided I needed to go for a little hike.  The best place to hike around here when it's hot out is anywhere with a higher elevation because it will always be at least 10 degrees cooler up there than down in the valley.  I haven't been able to do much hiking yet this year, and I thought I might start getting myself in better shape for hiking season, so I went to Ouray which is only about 8000 feet so it seemed like it would be a good place to start.  I already live at 6000 feet, so it wasn't a huge change in elevation.

The trail itself does have some very steep sections, but the views once you get to a high point are outstanding!

There are waterfalls all over this little valley and in the span of a few hours we were able to hike to two of them.  The first one was Cascade Falls.

The falls descend into a rocky creek.

It was very windy up on the trail and as we hiked closer to the falls we were sprinkled with mist blowing on the breeze.  We rested and had lunch at the base of the falls in a tall, shady grove of pine trees.  I have to say that this has to be one of the nicest places I have ever eaten lunch on a hot summer day.
.

After taking a break, we decided to change course and take a short cut through town to some of the other waterfalls in the valley.  The trail on this side of the valley was also quite steep and I was pretty tired once we reached this little bridge.


The view up and down Canyon Creek was quite beautiful as well.




This was a nice overlook above the town of Ouray.  Across the valley I could see Cascade falls to the left and the crescent of mountains that form the Amphitheater on the right.


 I feel so lucky to live so close a place this beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment