Sunday, June 12, 2016

Spinning: Finishing the Sunset Yarn

During the heat of the day on my days off, I spend a little time in the cooler indoors working on some non - garden related projects.  My latest project that I have actually been wanting to finish for several months is my Sunset yarn.  I finished plying one skein of it a couple of months ago, but had only intermittently been able to spin the rest of the fiber.  Last week I finally finished spinning it.  This week I was able to ply it into yarn.

The lower spindle holds a single ply of this yarn, while the large spindle is what the plied yarn looks like.  Once the yarn was plied I wound it onto my niddy noddy to make a skein and to get a rough idea of how much yarn I have in the skein.

This is what that same yarn looks like all stretched out on the niddy noddy.  I estimated it to be about 260 yards of yarn which comes out to be around 800 feet of yarn in only one skein.


After I secured the ends of the yarn I threw the whole skein in a tub of cold water to help set the twist.  Once it is dry I will wrap it into a skein until I can use it for crocheting.  I am hoping to have enough to make a matching hat and scarf with this color pattern.


This is what the yarn looks like all rolled into a skein.  The colors really pop in this yarn and I like how they fade into each other.  I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like once I start crocheting!



No comments:

Post a Comment