Friday, February 17, 2017

Potting Up Broccoli and Basil

It has been a little over a month since I planted my first round of spring seeds and they have really started to take off.  Some of my seedlings are doing so well that they are quickly outgrowing the tiny starter cell they are in.  Today I decided it was the right time to do some transplanting.  The tiny broccoli plants had already started growing their second true leaves and the roots were starting to become a tangled mess beneath the tray.  They were in desperate need of more room.

One by one I transferred each seedling into it's own three inch pot where they will remain until they are big enough to handle life under the protection of a low tunnel.


The first planting of basil was also doing very well and I decided to transplant the largest of the seedlings into larger pots before they too became stressed from such cramped living conditions.
They also went into three inch pots, but they will likely enjoy the warmth of the indoors until late April when I begin to harden them off.  Once they get a couple more sets of leaves I will top them to encourage a bushier growth habit.  
I should be transplanting the rest of the basil in a week or so when they get big enough to justify moving them.  Until then, the young seedlings will remain in the starting tray alongside the slower growing peppers and celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment