Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Feathering Out

These little guys are getting bigger by the day.  They are one month old now and their feathers are coming in nicely.  I think I got a good mix from my flock  because I seem to have at least one chick from each kind of hen that I have.  I am assuming that the dark colored chicks have the barred rock rooster for the father and the light colored chicks are from the Deleware rooster.



I am still not sure how many pullets or cockerels I have, but I think that at least two of the smaller black chicks are going to be hens.  One chick in particular has very interesting colors and I am thinking that it may turn out to be a rooster in the long run, but I won't know for several more weeks.
I expect that it won't be long until their heads are fully feathered out and by then they will be ready to start living outside.  Maybe only a couple more weeks.  They will outgrow their brooder before too long anyway, so the timing will be perfect and the weather will be milder for the young chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment