Saturday, May 27, 2017

Filling in the Perennial Herb Garden

Last year I made a halfhearted attempt at starting an herb garden in the corner of the large bed around the tree.  This bed was filled with ragweed and cheat grass and I couldn't quite keep up with it last year.  I had planted mint, oregano, chives, and thyme, most of which survived the winter despite my neglect.

This weekend I took the time to pull all the weeds that had started to fill in the gaps between the herbs.  I noticed that I had plenty of room for more herbs, so I went to my local nursery and picked up a few more starts of mint, lemon balm and chamomile.  Chamomile is technically an annual, but generally does a good job of reseeding itself year after year, so I added it to the perennial herb patch.


When I get another delivery of grass clippings I will mulch the bare ground in this area.  I am hoping that the thyme, oregano and mint spread out to fill in this corner of the bed.  In the other corner is a spring bulb garden and the back half I have planted with a mixture of wild flowers.  One area still is in dire need of weeding, but I haven't had time to tackle that yet.  I am hoping to help this bed become a low maintenance perennial flower and herb garden.  If I can keep up with the weeding and watering there is a chance that it will look quite nice by the end of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment