Saturday, December 23, 2017

Putting up Chicken Stock

Chicken stock is one of those things that I keep in the pantry because it can be used for so many dishes.  I can cook rice in it to add flavor, I can use it as a base for soup or in the crock pot to replace water in a recipe.  It can also be a filling warm drink on a cold winter's day.

My basic stock recipe is pretty simple.  I use the leftover bones from several chickens to start.  I cover the bones with water in a large stock pot and then set it to boil.  While that is heating up I slice up some carrots, celery, onions and garlic and add that to the pot.  I don't add salt to my stock, though sometimes I will add a splash of vinegar to help draw more minerals out of the bones.  I also add a couple of bay leaves for flavor.

I let the whole thing boil on low heat for several hours, sometimes the whole day if I have the time.  After it has boiled long enough I let it cool down for a while before I chill it in the fridge overnight.  Chilling it helps the fat to congeal on the top where I can easily scoop it off and save it to cook with later.  I take the bones out and remove any remaining meat which I save for things like chicken salad, chicken soup, or chicken tacos.  I strain out all of the veggies and feed those to the chickens as a special treat.  What I am left with is just the stock which I strain through cheese cloth and heat again to let it cook down a little and become more concentrated.

The final step is to pressure can the stock so that I can use it as needed over the next few months.  The stock is heated to boiling while the pressure canner and jars are prepared.  When everything is good and hot I transfer the boiling stock into pre-warmed jars leaving one inch of headspace in each jar.  One by one the jars go into the canner and once it's full the lid gets locked down and I wait for the pressure to rise.  At my elevation I need to process chicken stock at 13 pounds of pressure for 25 minutes.  When it's all done I let them cool down slowly before I remove them from the canner to cool completely.  This round of canning gave me five more quarts of fresh home made chicken stock to add to my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment