Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Garden Planning

Winter is only getting going, but spring will be here before I know it and I need to start preparing for the next growing season.  I have made some tentative plans of where I want to plant things this year, but that always changes a little when it comes down to the actual planting of crops in the dirt.  I usually try to work out the big picture first and the details will follow in due time.

I did want to try a few new crops this year, so I made some changes to my garden rotation to accommodate the new additions.  I will definitely be planting fewer cucumbers this year since I am still inundated with pickles from last summer's pickling marathon.  I also think I will skip planting cabbage in the fall since I can never get it to head up before it becomes over run by aphids or below freezing temperatures.  My new additions will be a few different kinds of peppers and tomatillos.  I also want to try growing some honeydew type melons and a new variety of winter squash.

Most of the garden will be started from seed so I will need to start some things very early to ensure that they have enough time to reach maturity before the growing season ends.  The things I start indoors are usually celery, peppers, broccoli and tomatoes.  I am going to add tomatillos to that list if they do well this year and if I have enough room under my grow lights I may start a few of the melons early as well.  Most everything else will be direct seeded outside once the temps are steadily above freezing.

I am in the process of getting my seed starting area cleaned up and soon I will be filling the pots with dirt and seeds.  Soon the hope for another great garden season will be happily growing in my kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment