Sunday, February 3, 2019

Storing my Dried Corn

It has been a few months since I harvested my Glass Gem corn and it has been waiting in my storage room for me to find the time to get it ready for real storage.  I didn't harvest a huge amount of corn last year, but I think it will give me plenty of seeds to plant in this year's garden and I will still have quite a bit to share with my chickens too.

The weather had gone through a rainy period when I took these ears of corn from the stalks, so I wanted to make sure they had plenty of time to dry out before I put them away for more permanent storage.  I may have forgotten about them for several months so they were plenty dried out when I "rediscovered" them this month.  I decided that it was time to shuck the kernels from the cobs in order to make them take up a lot less space in storage.  Separating the kernels also brought me one step closer to grinding them into cornmeal if I wanted to make cornbread from these colorful little gems.  One by one I processed each cob in a labor of love.  I know they make special devices to speed this process up, but I really don't have enough corn to justify getting one and I have plenty of time to do the work.  When I finished I had filled twelve quart jars with a rainbow of colorful kernels.

I saved the seeds from the most colorful, largest and healthiest looking cobs for planting in this year's garden.  I had only chosen an few different cobs, but they made enough seed to fill a whole quart jar themselves.   I am excited to see what color combinations grow from these open-pollinated seeds of Glass Gem corn.


No comments:

Post a Comment