Thursday, February 11, 2016

The First Seedlings Have Sprouted

I am so excited that the seeds I planted nearly three weeks ago are finally coming up.  They are simple, tiny little celery plants, but for me they are the first sign of spring.  I plant them this early precisely because they take so long to get going.  Even though they started coming up just a couple days ago, they will still take another eight to twelve weeks to become big enough to transplant.


The next seedlings I expect will be up in a few days are the onions.  It has only been one week since they were planted, and they can be a little slow to get started as well.  I hope to do a succession planting of those in about three weeks.  Onions are nice because they can go out under a hoop house early and they don't mind the cold as much as some other plants.

The next crop that I am going to start will be my lettuces, followed by the brassicas and peppers.  There may not be very many seedlings at the moment, but in the next few weeks I will be having trouble finding places to put them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment