Monday, August 22, 2016

Drying Apricots

This summer has produced a bumper crop of fruit for this area and a friend of mine had plenty of extra to share.  I was given a large box of nearly ripe apricots a couple of weeks ago, and they have been sitting patiently in my fridge ever since.  I finally found some time to process the ones that were still good and I decided to dehydrate this batch.  The fruits were very small, but tasty and I simply sliced them in half to remove the pit, dipped them in a honey/ lemon juice/ water mixture and laid them out on the dehydrator to dry.  The lemon juice and honey help preserve the color of the fruit as they dry as well as add a little extra sweetness to the finished product.


I filled all four trays of the dehydrator with the halved fruit pressed inside out and let it dry at 130 degrees overnight.  The next morning I was able to squeeze all four trays of fruit into one quart jar.  Talk about saving space and weight!.  I think it was a third of the box that filled the trays, so about 8 pounds of fruit reduced to just a few ounces.


These dried apricots will become snacking food for hiking, camping and road trips.  If I wanted to, I could reconstitute them and make jam or add them to dishes too.  My plan is to finish off the rest of the box as soon as I can since they probably won't last much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment