Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Freezing Broccoli

Another one of my nice heads of broccoli was ready to be harvested.  It was so large that it barely fit in my harvest basket even after I pulled off all of the big leaves.

It wasn't as large as the first head that I picked, but still weighed in at 2 lbs, 4.8 oz.  After the weigh in I washed the broccoli and trimmed it into florets and stem chunks to prepare it for freezing.  While I was doing all the chopping, I heated a large pot of water on the stove for blanching.

I usually try to blanch my broccoli for about five minutes before I rinse it in cold water and then let it soak in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.


Once the broccoli has cooled enough, I transferred it into labeled freezer bags and then promptly put them in the freezer.  I think I was able to get about ten servings out of this batch, with a bit left over for tonight's dinner.  It is nice to be putting things back into the freezer for the season, since it had been getting fairly bare in there.  So far I have 23 servings of broccoli in my freezer, with one more head left to harvest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment