Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Saving Sunflowers

The sunflowers have put on a beautiful display this summer, but many of them are nearing the end of their lifespan.  The giant sunflowers have bent over, pulled down by the weight of their seed laden flower heads.  Since the wild birds have been having a feast of the smaller sunflowers, I figured it was time to harvest the giant sunflowers and hang them to dry in a safe place that the wild birds couldn't get at.  I also harvested some of the smaller sunflowers and laid them to dry on a bench in the sun.  Many of them were already picked clean by the wild birds, but I took what I could.

The giant sunflowers heads were tied into bundles with wire and hung inside the large chicken coop out of reach of the current residents.  There is good air circulation, they are protected from rain and they are safe from the wild birds.  The plan is to give them to the chickens eventually as scratch in the winter, so I don't mind if I loose a few seeds to the chickens now as they are drying.


I think the giant flowers hanging from the ceiling add a bit of charm to the enclosure.  Hopefully I will be able to save some seeds for next year's crop so I can grow myself some more free chicken food.

No comments:

Post a Comment