Saturday, December 3, 2016

Bottling the Sweet Plum Wine

It has been over a month since I racked the plum wine.  I finally had a chance to clean all the bottles that I had saved so I would be ready to bottle this batch of wine.  The first step was to sterilize them all with boiling water.  I simple heat up water in my tea kettle and pour it into each bottle and let it sit for a couple minutes before emptying.  I set them up to dry on a clean towel and then prepared my set up for bottling.  One by one I filled the bottles using a siphon hose to transfer the wine from the large glass carboy to the bottles.  Once I was done, I used a turkey baster to even out the amounts of wine in the top of each bottle - leaving room for a cork.  Then one by one I used my cork press to cork each bottle.  I filled a total of 22 bottles plus a half gallon growler bottle with this beautiful and delicious sweet plum wine.

  
I think that this amount of wine is a pretty good return on a box of plums, a packet of yeast, and a couple of bags of sugar.  I think the total cost came in around $45 which translates to just a little over $2 a bottle.  Not a bad price for a tasty and colorful homemade bottle of wine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment