Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Winter's Grand Entrance

The weather has been mild the past few days and there has been only dustings of snow over the past few weeks.  Last night all of that changed.  It has been very windy, but warm all day yesterday.  Clouds came rolling in over the plateau to the west and rain came and went all afternoon.  Even as the sun sank, the temps hovered in the 40's.  Sometime just after midnight, the rain went from blustery sprinkles to a full on downpour and the winds howled from the west, driving sheets of rain sideways across the countryside.  Then the temperature dropped and the sheets of rain became thick swirls of heavy wet snowflakes that stuck to everything they touched.  My doors are covered in a crust of ice and outside the world is coated with a layer of heavy, icy snow.  This morning the snow has stopped, though the wind is still busy scouring the countryside.  We didn't end up with a ton of snow in this semi arid area, but the change in scenery is beautiful.  I love nothing more that waking up after a snow storm and just enjoying the untouched beauty of freshly fallen snow.



The garden is most definitely down for the season and the chickens are all tucked in under their hoop house.  I might let them out later to explore the snow if they want, but I think they are appreciating the protection from the elements today.  They are still happily laying plenty of eggs for me and seem quite content, though maybe a little bored.  I will have to throw them some scratch next time I go out to give them something to do.

The hoop house that I have my overwintering lettuce and spinach in didn't fare the storm too badly. I think I will still be able to salvage it in the spring when the world thaws out again.
 The pea trellis didn't stand up to the storm well, but it wasn't really meant to be used into this kind of weather.  It was a makeshift trellis anyway, but I hope to reuse it in the spring after I reinforce it better.
This year's first real snowstorm has made it's grand appearance and things are finally starting to feel like winter around here.  I suppose it is appropriate weather for the winter solstice.  I will enjoy the snow while it lasts since I know that it never stays long down in this little valley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment