Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Off To A Bright Beginning

Just as I had hoped, my seedling trays are filling in as the various crops send up their first leaves.  The first to sprout were my broccoli.

Goliath is the variety on the right and Atlantic is the variety on the left.  The Goliath sprouts are already stretching up to the top of the plastic covering of the tray.  Once they grow their first true leaf I will thin them down to one plant in each pot.  I have a feeling I will be potting them up into bigger pots in a couple short weeks at the rate they are growing.

The basil were the next sprouts to appear.
So far only five cells haven't sprouted, but I'm hoping they will appear over the next few days.  I hope to have plenty of fresh basil for making pesto in a few months.  My plan is to plant the basil seedlings all over the garden to deter pests and add a little variety to my beds.  I may make succession plantings of this herb to keep a continuous crop in stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment