Monday, August 7, 2017

Garden Harvests: Summer Squash is in the Lead!

The summer crops are coming on fast right now and the summer squash are leading the charge.  They went from tiny seedlings to full blown bushes in just a few weeks and shortly after I saw the first flower I began to harvest my first zucchini and yellow squash of the year.  The yellow squash has been by far the most productive, but I have already discovered a couple of baseball bat sized zucchini hiding under huge leaves.  Those of course immediately went to the chickens since I have no desire to save them for my own use.  I have also been giving away my extra squash to friends and coworkers in an effort to keep up with the harvest.  I may dehydrate a few this summer, but I still have so much left from last year that it doesn't make sense to dehydrate more.

The cucumbers have begun to trickle in and so far I have been able to keep up with them, eating them every day with my lunch or dinner.  I have a feeling it will only be another few days before pickling season goes into full swing around here and I will be inundated with cucumbers as well.  The plants look plenty healthy right now, so I am expecting another bumper crop year in the cucumber department.

I have also harvested a handful of sweet banana peppers and sweet green chili peppers, as well as my first ripe tomatoes of the season.  These plants are also doing quite well, and when everything starts to ripen all at once I will become very busy in the kitchen canning salsa and sauces with the garden bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment