Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The New Arrivals

Just over three weeks ago I lost the friendliest rooster I have ever had.  He was a rarity among roosters in that he would never run from me and always let me pick him up with no fussing, struggling or aggression.  He also liked to follow me around when he was able and I became fond of him in the short time that he lived here.  I was hoping that he would be my main flock rooster for awhile, but there was a tragic accident and he is gone, but I still had hope for his sweet demeanor to live on.  For a couple days after he passed I collected the eggs from the hens he shared a pen with and set them in my incubator.  I started with a total of 9 eggs, only four of which proved to be viable.  Of the four only three ended up hatching.  These guys are currently resting after their long day of coming into the world and will spend the next few weeks learning the ins and outs of being a chicken in the brooder in my back room.

The plan is to handle them a lot and get them used to human contact and so far they seem to be doing well.  As hard as I try to not get attached to these guys, I think I will always love watching baby chicks doing their thing as they grow up.  I am hoping that at least one of them is as sweet as the rooster that sired them so that his good name may live on.



No comments:

Post a Comment