Thursday, November 30, 2017

Current Crochet Project: A Handspun Hat

I am excited to be working on my current project.  A customer at work saw some of my finished products and requested that I make a custom hat.  They wanted it to be thin but warm, preferably wool and dyed to match his jacket.  Luckily for me I had a couple of skeins of my handspun yarn that just happened to be made from a soft and warm combination of merino wool and tussah silk.

I rolled the skeins into balls so I could crochet from them easily and began to work on a hat.  I used a fairly small sized crochet hook because this yarn is thinner than most of the yarn that you can get at the store.  A small hook means a lot more stitches go into making a project so it can take quite a bit longer to finish a product.  It also means that the fabric it makes is thinner which is what I was going for since the request wasn't for a thick bulky hat.


Once the hat was finished I dyed it dark blue as requested.

I am really happy with the finished product.  My hand spun yarn was just what I wanted for this project and I even got to practice a different dye technique which turned out just the way I had hoped it would.  It was a great learning experience all the way around and I look forward to making more handspun yarn for future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment