Sunday, July 15, 2018

First Pullet Egg

My young pullets are about 20 weeks old this week and they have looked like full grown chickens for quite some time now.  The only thing they weren't doing yet was laying eggs.  This week that changed.  When I went to collect eggs after work one night I came across an itty bitty egg in the nest boxes.  I had forgotten how small their first eggs can be when they start to lay.  This one was half the size of a regular egg.  I thought it was adorable!

I expect to see a few more of these in the coming days as the other two hens begin to lay eggs too.  Gradually the eggs will get larger as the hens get older and I won't be able to tell the difference in a couple months.  Even though I have had chickens for years, I still find it exciting when one of my baby chicks lays their first egg.


No comments:

Post a Comment