Friday, July 6, 2018

July Corn: Tall Enough to Look You in the Eye

The old saying about corn is "knee high by the Fourth of July".  I have always taken this to be a general measurement of corn growth that tells you if you are going to get a good crop by the end of the season.  I have also generally had my corn higher than my knee by this time in the season.  This year is no exception.  The day after the Fourth I had some plants that could literally look me in the eye they were so tall.
There are only a few that boast this height, but the others aren't far behind.  As long as the wind doesn't flatten my corn before it produces ears I should get a decent harvest from these beds.  I am excited to see what color kernels I produce from this variety called Glass Gem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment