Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fencing the Yard: Poor Man's Edition

A few weeks ago my friend and I started putting up a fence around my yard to protect both the garden and my chickens from roaming wildlife.  I have seen several foxes in the area and have had deer tracks in my garden since we tilled up the beds.  The fence supports were t-posts that we salvaged from the property and from a local metal recycling yard.  The fencing however was going to be much more expensive if we didn't come up with something a little bit different.  My friend had the idea of weaving a fence with discarded baling twine.  Lucky for me there is no shortage of this in the area, since so many people own livestock and horses here.  I asked a coworker that had horses if she had any twine laying around and was promptly rewarded with two huge bins overflowing with the stuff.  My friend's father also decided to loan me an old solar electric fence charger that he wasn't using this season so I could add an extra layer of protection to my fence.  Now all I had to do was buy some insulators for the t-posts and a small, cheap roll of electric fence wire and I would be set.  My friend was kind enough to install all the insulators and the wire for me and he even hooked everything up to the solar charger.  While he was doing all of that, I was busy tying lengths of baling twine together to make additional rows for the fence.  Once we got all the long fencing installed we then started "weaving" in the extra baling twine to strengthen the fence and add more protection.  We managed to finish one side that day and I will spend my extra time finishing off the project when I am able.  The best part is that the fence holds a charge great (I tested it to be sure it was working properly....it was an electrifying experience!) even with all the baling twine woven into it.  Hopefully the shock will be enough to deter foxes and deer from ever entering the yard.

All in all I spent only $45 for this whole fence!  Thanks to the donated charger, the mostly free t-posts  (I think I spent about $15 for the few t-posts that we needed to finish the fence) and the free baling twine, the only real costs were $20 for the wire and another $10 for the insulators.  A great deal if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment