Friday, April 1, 2016

Teenage Chickens: Five Weeks Old

The chickens have officially outgrown their baby feathers and are now moving on to the awkward, gawky stage of their development.  The resemble grown up chickens more and more every day, though they still make the peeps of baby chickens.  They have been living outside now for over a week and seem to be adapting nicely to their new environment.  I have been starting to introduce a variety of kitchen scraps to their diet, and so far they seem to love the new variety.  Feeding kitchen scraps is the most efficient way to reduce my kitchen waste stream, reduce my feed bill for the chickens, and add free fertilizer to my garden beds all at once.  It's a win all the way around!  Here are some pictures of the happy little cluckers this week:






As you can see they have been trying out the perches in their run.  They seem quite content to hang out in the sun on nice days, and busily till and fertilize my garden beds all day long.  I am so proud of my little flock.  Only a few more months until they are giving me eggs too!

No comments:

Post a Comment