Thursday, July 21, 2016

Fall Cabbage

Since the garlic harvest I have had an empty bed in my garden in the peak growing season of summer.  It seemed like such a waste to me so this year I am trying to make maximum use of my time and growing space by growing several crops in a single bed.  I decided that I want to see if I can grow fall cabbage.  This crop needs a relatively long growing season, but is also frost tolerant, so planting it for the end of a season seems to make sense.  The garlic was out of the ground by late June, so I thought there would be plenty of time for cabbage to grow.  I planted this bed with three varieties of cabbage: Red acre, Brunswick, and Mammoth Red Rock.  I decided to direct seeds these plants, since I never got around to starting the seeds indoors a few weeks ago like I had planned.



The first seedlings emerged just a couple of weeks ago and are already being over run by weeds in the freshly turned bed.  I will have to be diligent about keeping this bed weeded if I want my cabbage to have a decent shot at forming heads before the weather turns too cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment