Saturday, July 30, 2016

Meat Chicken Update

The flock of chickens that I am raising for my freezer are growing steadily.  They are about 11 weeks old here and seem fairly happy.


The original plan with their enclosure was to move them every few weeks or days.  However I didn't plan on the weeds boxing them in so well, so the enclosure has been in a fixed position.  I would have liked them to be more free ranging, but I didn't give myself enough space to move the enclosure  without destroying part of the garden.  Before I start another batch of chickens, I will address this problem.  For now I decided they can stay in one place and I will simply feed them free choice weeds from around the garden.  Yes, it's more work this way, but it keeps my garden safe from destructive chicken scratching, and helps feed my flock at the same time.

The roosters in this flock have also started crowing in the mornings.  At first they sounded quiet and awkward and unsure of themselves, but as the days go on, they are finding their voices one by one.  I know that at least seven of them have been crowing and it generally starts around 5 am.  I am usually a morning person, so it doesn't really bother me, but they are pretty much right outside my bedroom window, so this is not something I want to put up with for a long time.  They are almost full grown as far as height, but they do have a little more filling out to do.  I am thinking that they should be ready for slaughter in another month or two.


There is this one chicken that stands out from the rest of them.  He is very friendly little guy and doesn't mind getting pet or picked up.  He is usually the first to greet me when I feed them in the morning. If he remains friendly, he may get to live for a little while and may father my first batch of home hatched chicks.  He isn't the fastest growing rooster, but he is the nicest so far.  Couldn't hurt to breed a little good personality into my lines right?  I know they will be mutt chickens, but I hope if I select for good traits then I will end up with something even better than today's current breeds.  I may keep the largest rooster from this batch around as well, to help diversify my lines in the fast growing direction.  I try to observe my flock for a few minutes every day, to help me choose the right ones to keep.  I still haven't decided if I am going to keep the hens from this flock for layers.  I don't really have a need for more layers, but I'm sure I will be able to sell the extra eggs.  I guess it will depend on how many hens I end up with out of the batch and how big they are at harvest time.  I think I will probably spread harvest over several sessions since there will be some that are ready before others - biggest birds going first of course.  Only time will tell, and there are only a few more weeks left for these birds before they go in the freezer.  I am looking forward to reducing my feed bill and having many delicious home grown meals out of this endeavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment