Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Happy Cucumbers!

The cucumbers are happily chugging along in this hot summer we are having.  I have trellised them twice now and they seem to be getting the idea.  The tops are already halfway up the chicken wire fencing I have stretched for them to climb, and they keep sending out side shoots into the paths.  They are starting to look like a small mountain of leaves.


I picked my first little cucumbers a few days ago and have been getting about two a day since.  In a week or so, I think they will really start coming on and I will be able to start pickling them.  There are two varieties planted here; one with small white fruits with black spines and the other with dark green fruits.  The green ones seem a little bitter to me when I eat them fresh in a salad.  I guess I will see how they hold up to canning. They seem like they would be better as large pickles, or spears.  The white ones are smaller and less bitter.  I think they will make good baby dills.  I can't wait to see the harvests I will get from this patch.  There are flowers everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment