Wednesday, April 5, 2017

A Gift of Raspberries

A friend of mine had the luck to get a bunch of raspberry canes and was nice enough to share them with me.  They were delivered in clumps inside of buckets and there they stayed for several days until I found the time to get them into the ground.

My biggest dilemma was deciding where I should plant them.  I knew they would need full sun and a lot of water, but they are also prone to spreading, so I didn't want them too close to my vegetable garden lest they get out of hand.  I also needed to consider being able to dig them out later, as I live on rented property and I might want to take some with me when I move.  I finally decided to put them along the fence line by the driveway.  There they will have full sun, be easy to reach for watering and will have room to spread if they do well.
First I went down the line and dug holes about three feet apart.  Into each hole I planted one cane or clump of canes and covered the roots with soil.  Once the row was planted I mulched each plant in with composting leaves that I had in a pile from last fall.  To finish things off I gave each plant a nice long drink.  In a few weeks I will know if I was successful in transplanting these raspberry canes.
If I am lucky, I might get fruit by next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment