Saturday, April 29, 2017

Winter's Last Word

Here it is the end of April.  There were a couple of weeks of nice, mild days with temps in the 70's in the beginning of the month, but this morning I woke up to a blanket of snow on the garden.  Walking outside I found it was a very wet, heavy snow and there was nearly an inch coating everything in sight.

As I stepped outside I saw a few heavy flakes settle to the ground.  It is still snowing this morning and I am unable to see the mountains to the south or the mesa to the north.  I am hoping that the sun gets to work on warming things up here soon as I am not ready for winter to return quite yet.

My onion beds have a nice layer of snow on them, but I expect they will be fine as they are fairly hardy and tolerant of the cold.

The garlic was a little weighed down by the heavy, wet snow, but should bounce back with no problem.  These plants are used to frigid temps as they have been growing since sometime in January when the weather was much colder than this.

The peas should be ok as long as the cold doesn't stick around for too long and the broccoli sprouts that I just planted out last week will hopefully survive this little cold snap as well.  The rest of the garden is still lying dormant, but will be planted out in just a few short weeks.  I hope that spring can get it's act together by then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment