Sunday, June 18, 2017

Finally Planting Peppers and Tomatoes

Spring got off to a late start this year and I was glad that I waited to plant out my summer crops.  I was waiting for my starts to get big enough, but they were in such bad shape that I decided to bite the bullet and buy starts from the local nursery.  Lucky for me I had waited long enough that they had put the vegetable starts on sale, so I got a great deal and was able to fill out my garden for under $20.  I bought seven varieties of peppers and three different varieties of tomatoes.  To this total I added two more tomato plants from the farmers market a couple of weeks ago and two of my healthiest looking seedlings that were still tiny compared to the ones that I had bought from the nursery.

I planted them all out in the early morning before the sun was hitting the garden.  The night before was spent setting up the tomato trellis and drip irrigation in the beds to get them ready for the final planting.  The peppers were planted in two rows down the bed, each with their own drip line.  The tomatoes were staggered on either side of their trellis and each side got two drip lines.  I wanted to make sure that the tomatoes will be getting plenty of water.
Finally all of my garden beds are growing something!  I think I will be plenty busy this summer canning salsa and tomato sauces once these crops start producing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment