Thursday, June 29, 2017

Sunflower Progress

The sunflower beds are off to a great start this year.  Nearly every seed that I planted came up along with many volunteers that the birds planted for me last fall.  The beds run along the eastern edge of the yard along the road and will be a beautiful wall of flowers once they start to bloom.  It will be a nice privacy screen for my yard and it will provide some extra shade for my chicken pens once they get a little taller.  It will also provide some good winter forage for the chickens while helping to reduce my feed bill once the sunflowers have ripened.
These were planted only a month ago and they are growing very quickly.  Some of the plants are already over a foot tall and they seem to just keep growing faster in these long days of early summer.  The row on the left should be mostly giant sunflowers and the row on the right should be a good mix of red and yellow sunflowers to add some color to the screen.  Many of the plants have tiny flowers starting to show in the center of all their leaves so it should only be a few more weeks until I have a wall of sunflowers in my front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment