Thursday, June 8, 2017

Peak Pea Production

The longer days of late spring have been very good for production in my garden.  A few weeks ago the peas had begun to flower and now they are in full swing.
I wasn't paying very close attention to them for a few days and when I went to check on them I found that they were in dire need of a harvest!  I picked nearly a quart of peas from this ten foot row of peas!

I was surprised by the volume I was able to pick since these plants weren't very tall.  This was a new variety to me this year and I am happy with the results.  They don't seem to have any trouble producing a good quantity of peas in a small area.  

I checked them again a couple days later and was rewarded with another quart of pea pods!
I know the harvest won't last long as the heat of early summer comes on.  I am just happy to be harvesting a new crop and expanding my diet from the preserved foods of last fall.  I will eat as much as I can fresh, then freeze the rest to use at my convenience.  The more I pick, the more they will grow until they die back in the summer heat.  I am so happy for my fresh spring harvests!




No comments:

Post a Comment