Thursday, February 1, 2018

Winter Hikes

One of the greatest things about where I live is the variety of climates that I can visit in just a short drive.  To the south are tall mountain peaks and if I am in the mood for snow shoeing or other cold weather adventures I can drive a couple hours and find snow.  In this valley it is much drier and a little warmer, so winter hikes can be found up the numerous canyons to the north and west of where I live.  There is a canyon only 20 minutes from my house that has miles of trails to explore and if I have a few hours to spare I often go there for short afternoon adventures.  Farther north are even more canyons and more miles of trails to explore in the winter.  I like hiking these areas in the winter because it is usually a comfortable temperature for hiking and quieter.  I don't have to contend with crowds of people or suffer through the scorching high desert heat of summer.

This was a beautiful frozen waterfall hidden in Dominguez Canyon.
 I find it pretty amazing that there is still a source of running water in this area at this time of year.  Places like this are high desert gems.


The view back the way we came.

 One of my friends spotted these guys hanging out on the side of the canyon.  I always feel a little blessed to witness such rare creatures when I am out hiking in these kinds of places.

 Closer to home there are some interesting rock formations hidden up an inconspicuous looking valley.

The view from inside the hole.

 Here is where wind, water and time create art among the rocks.

These are the places that I visit when I need time to recharge.  The solitude and silence soothes my spirit and quiets my restlessness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment