Monday, April 2, 2018

Planting Potatoes

The beginning of April has been pretty nice this year.  The weather has been cooperative enough that I have been able to make progress on turning over more garden beds.  The beds that I have prioritized are ones that will be getting some of my earlier crops into the ground.  Today that crop was potatoes.

I used my hoe to make two trenches in this bed.  I had such a surplus of potatoes that I didn't eat from last year that I decided that I don't need to plant as many as I did last year.  Some of those uneaten potatoes are going into the dirt to grow more potatoes for me this year. Yay for another year of free potatoes!

They had been stored in boxes in my closet over the winter and it was warm enough that they started to grow sprouts a couple of months ago.  Most of the seed potatoes at the store barely have eyes right now, so it looks like my potatoes are already off to a head start for the year.

When I planted them I laid them down in the trench and covered them with a layer of leaves and dirt.  I added the leaves now because I want them to add organic matter to the soil, but I didn't have time to work them in months ahead of time so they could break down.  Over the growing season they should break down just fine and help to nourish the potato plants that will occupy this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment