Saturday, March 31, 2018

Seedling Progress

This year I only started a handful of crops from seed indoors.  I planted the broccoli, celery and peppers near the end of January and the tomatoes went into the dirt in the middle of February.  Everything has been growing very well for me this year.  It seems to me that I always end up with healthier seedlings when I start them in three inch pots.  I don't have to waste time later transplanting them into larger pots and the plants don't get stressed because they have enough room to grow.

The broccoli have been very happy spending time outside in the sunshine and I hope to be transplanting them into the garden in just a couple more weeks.

The celery are still very small, but they are making progress steadily.  At nine weeks they still have a ways to go before they will be big enough to go outside permanently, but as the weather warms I am sure they will pick up the pace in their growth habits.  They won't be getting transplanted outside for another eight weeks or so which means they still have plenty of time to get bigger.

The peppers are coming along nicely under the warmth of the grow lights inside.  They seem like a nice healthy batch of seedlings and should be good sized in a couple more months when they get to go outside.  Peppers really like warm weather so I will make sure that they don't go outside permanently until the night temps are staying above 50.

The tomatoes are taking on a life of their own in the corner of the shelf that they occupy.  They are growing very fast and it won't be long until I will have to start putting them out in the sunshine because they will be too tall for their indoor growing set up.  I hope to keep them indoors for at least another month, but by the time the weather is warm enough for them outside, they could be huge.  I am hoping that this means that I will get a bumper crop of tomatoes from them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment