Sunday, August 12, 2018

Canning Salsa

Garden harvests are coming in very well and I am finally getting enough tomatoes and peppers to make salsa again.  The first round of salsa used several of my large Siberian Pink Honey Tomatoes.  Most of these tomatoes are as large as my hand and they are very fleshy.  It didn't take very many of them to make the ten cups of chopped tomatoes required for this recipe.

The peppers I used were a variety of colors ranging from a deep purple to a bright orange.  They definitely make a rainbow of color when all of the ingredients get mixed together in the pot.  

Everything was harvested fresh right before it was washed and chopped and thrown into the pot.  I think there is something to be said about using the freshest ingredients possible.  Nothing in the world tastes better then something just harvested off the plant.  Even the onions were just pulled before they became a part of this mix.


I let the mix cook down until it had thickened a bit and then I scooped it into pint jars and canned it in a boiling water bath.  When it was finished I ended up with eight pints of mild salsa and a little extra for fresh eating.  I like to use this salsa mix to make chili or season tacos, or even just to snack on with some crunchy chips.  In the coming weeks I expect I will be making several more batches to add to my winter stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment