Saturday, August 18, 2018

Yankee Boy Basin Hike

My time for hikes has become limited lately due to all the work I have in the garden, but I still manage to squeeze one in here and there.  This week I had an early meeting at work, but wasn't scheduled to actually work until later in the afternoon, so I decided to challenge myself a bit.  This hike is just a little ways outside of Ouray so it was still close enough that I could fit it all in if I pushed myself a bit.  It partially follows the jeep road that winds through the mountains around Ouray, but then veers off and becomes a bit of a choose your own adventure hike.
Near the trail head I found a nice view up the valley.  

The trail itself is an intermittent game trail that rises slowly up the slope as it follows the curve of the mountain.  At one point I marked my goal of a high saddle between peaks and made my way uphill towards it.  This hike began at an elevation of around 10,500 feet so any uphill climb involved many stops to catch my breath and take in the view.



Once I reached the saddle the views become incredible.  I certainly wasn't at the highest point around, but I was up very high.  I believe I had reached a little over 12,200 feet by the time I got  here.
To the south of the saddle the view is of Governor's Basin.

The view to the north is the Sneffles range.

 I spent a nice chunk of time on top of the saddle and enjoyed the views on either side as I ate my lunch.  Had I not needed to head back to go to work, I might have spent the afternoon here just taking in all of the abundant sunshine.

The way back was a little rushed as I was cutting it close for time, but I managed to finish a 7.3 mile hike in just 4.5 hours.  Considering the elevation I was hiking at I think I made great time.  I even had enough time to stop and enjoy the detailed beauty that surrounded me.
The main flower season has already passed for this area, but there were a quite a few stragglers along the trail, and all the flowers were busy with numerous butterflies and honey bees.  These high mountain meadows are only accessible during the warmest couple of months of the year, so I always try to make a point of visiting them when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment