Monday, August 27, 2018

Garden Guests

My garden is becoming quite the popular place among the local wildlife.  As the season progresses I keep finding more and more varieties of critters large and small hiding among the foliage.  Granted some of the guests are unwanted, for example the squash bugs.  I will not be having a winter squash crop this year thanks to their activities.  But to balance things out I have come across plenty of other busy insects in my garden.  This newly molted praying mantis for example.
I found this lovely creature hiding in my green bean bed.  I almost mistook it for a grasshopper, but I let it be because I know that this insect will eat lots of potentially harmful insects in my garden.  I wish it a long life and many offspring for the future.

I have also been seeing plenty of bees making the rounds in my squash and cucumber beds.  They happily hum from flower to flower gathering nectar and spreading pollen as they go.  I am not sure where they are coming from, but I am more than happy to share my garden with them.

Other critters I have seen in the garden include a few toads, plenty of birds, and the occasional cat hiding among the foliage.  I am happy to keep finding a multitude of earthworms in my soil too.  Their presence shows that I have lots of organic matter in my soil that can feed them.






No comments:

Post a Comment