Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Hatchlings!

Spring has sprung in my back room.  A small pile of chicks now sleep in the warm red glow of their heat lamp.  The first chick hatched early in the morning on the 7th.  By evening I had a total of six new additions to my flock.  I waited until they were all dry and then moved them into the "brooder" which is a good sized aquarium in my spare bedroom.  Here they will grow in the safety of the indoors until they are big enough to handle outdoor living.
These guys will be going outside in four to six weeks.  The timing will depend on how fast their feathers come in and how warm the weather is looking.  So far spring seems to want to take her sweet time in getting here, but we are getting plenty of rain instead of snow which means that the weather is warming.  Once things start to dry out, I expect spring will arrive with a flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment