Monday, October 3, 2016

Bountiful Fall Harvests

The solstice has come and gone and the garden is slowing down, but that's not to say it's finished yet.  I am harvesting less often, but when I do go out to pick vegetables, I still get good quantities of most things.

Take these cucumbers for example.  I have only harvested about four times in the last two weeks and each harvest is about this size.  Right now I have two gallon bags full of cucumbers waiting to be pickled in the fridge.

The tomatoes have finally started ripening now that they have the heat and humidity of the greenhouse to help them along.  I hope to get a few more harvests like this one so I can make plenty of tomato sauce this winter.


The peppers are finally starting to change color too, but they are very slow to fully ripen.  I only picked a handful of them this last harvest, hoping to leave some of the bigger ones to change color more.

The Jalepenos on the other hand have just gone to town.  I have had plenty of those in the past few weeks and am going to try turing this harvest into poppers for the freezer.  I have already made plenty of salsa, so I needed to come up with another way to preserve this harvest.  Should make for some good snacking this winter!

There are other things that I am still harvesting here and there like yellow squash and greenbeans, but I am barely getting enough of those to fill out the dinner menu.  I will probably keep trying to eat those fresh while I can, since I am not harvesting enough to make preserving them worth my while.  The winter squash should be ready soon and I will have plenty of those to eat this winter.  I am looking forward to hardier meals as the weather cools down.  I think I will have plenty of variety to choose from thanks to my lovely productive garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment