Thursday, October 6, 2016

Fall Garden Beds

After I harvested my onions and potatoes, I had a few empty beds that I wanted to plant some quick growing crops in.  In one of the beds I planted peas and they are cruising along nicely.  Only a few weeks after they went into the soil, they sprouted and grew enough to need a trellis.  I normally put up the trellis before I plant, but at that time, I didn't have enough of the right kind of fence, or the supports to hold it up.  I was since given a free section of old chicken wire fence and decided to use that to make the trellis for the peas.  I still didn't have good supports to hold it up, but I cobbled some out of rebar, 2x4's and baling twine.  I had to be careful as I set it up so I didn't damage any of the young pea seedlings, but I managed to squeeze it down the middle of the row with little harm to the plants.  A few days later the peas have found the trellis and have reached out their tendrils to pull themselves up.  I hope it stays warm long enough to get a little crop out of this patch.  I didn't get much out of my spring peas and they are one of my favorite things to eat!
i

The other bed that I planted was simply a salad bed with a variety of lettuce and spinach.  Those crops can tolerate a bit of cold and I will probably cover them with a little hoop house in a few weeks to keep them going into winter.  It sure will be nice to harvest salad greens in the cold of winter if I can make this work.


Most people think of fall as the time for the garden to be winding down, but with a little foresight, you can still squeeze a few more crops out of the soil if you plan it right.  I think I planted the peas about three or four weeks ago, and the lettuce two or three weeks ago.  With the cold season on it's way I won't have to worry about the lettuce or spincah bolting from the heat.  I also made sure to choose frost tolerant crops to extend the garden season as much as possible.  I know they won't survive the deep freezes of winter, but the garden can feed me a little while longer yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment