Monday, March 26, 2018

An Edible Perennial Garden

In the wake of rearranging the yard layout I decided to dedicate an area of the yard to edible perennials.  I decided that I would plant the area around the new location of the compost pile with a variety of perennial fruits and vegetables.  I am starting small, but I have a feeling that this might snowball on me once the ideas start rolling around in my head.

The area immediately around the compost pile now contains a trench with asparagus.  I will be able to reach the plants easily in early spring when they start to come up and then they can fade into the background as the season progresses. The next layer out is just a couple of raspberry canes.  I am hoping these will grow enough to screen the compost bin from the sides eventually.  I may add more raspberries around the bin if these first two grow well here.  Among the raspberries I would like to plant a ground cover of strawberries.  The area that I had previously planted with strawberries has not done well for the past few years so I think I need to try them in a sunnier spot.


The corner of my yard that I am dedicating to perennial plants is on the southwest side of my house.  It gets a lot of sun and is at the bottom slope in my yard.  I would like to eventually fill in that corner if I am here long enough, but the number of plants that end up here will all depend on what kind of deals I can find when adding new plants to the garden.  It is not a project that I want to invest a lot of money into because I am living in a rental.  Right now I have only spent about $30 on two raspberry plants, ten asparagus crowns and ten strawberry plants.  Hopefully these things will flourish and round out my harvests while I live here.

Other things that I might try planting in this area are jerusalem artichokes, walking onions, rhubarb, gooseberries, currants, and horseradish.  If I come across any fruit trees on sale I might pick up a couple just to add another layer to the garden too.  This yard does have a lot of potential on this sunny side of the house and I would hate to see the land just go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment