Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Peas Have Risen

I planted a round of peas a couple of weeks ago when the weather had a warm spell for a few weeks.  Shortly after I planted them, the weather took a cold turn and I was worried that they wouldn't germinate.  While peas are cold hardy plants, they don't germinate as well in cold soil, so I thought that I might have to replant the crop if they didn't come up soon.  Happily, they started to appear just a little over two weeks after I planted them.  They have been under the cover of the hoop house to keep the bed a little warmer than the rest of the garden, so I hope they can get off to a speedy start with their growth.

As you can see here the weeds have started to come up also.  Once these peas get a little taller, I will be sure to do a thorough weeding of this bed and put down a nice thick layer of mulch.  Until then, I will do my best to keep this bed watered, even though it takes a little more effort to remove and replace the hoop house cover.  So far the garden is off to a nice start and the growing season has just begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment