Sunday, May 1, 2016

April Showers Bring May Flowers

I hope the old saying is true.  We have been having a bit of a wet spell here in the weather lately and things are getting a little muddy around here.  On the bright side, I don't need to water my garden.  Unfortunately it has also been on the cold side with this wet weather and the nights have dipped close to the freezing point a few times in the last week.  This doesn't really bother the plants that I have out in the garden right now since they are fairly frost tolerant.  I just hope the temps don't dip too low and kill my newly transplanted broccoli and brussel sprouts.  They are still a bit tender and might take a while to get more acclimated to the cold.  Cold weather also slows the growth of new seedlings, which slows down the start of the growing season, but things should bounce back in a week or so when things warm up again.  On the plus side, cold weather slows down the germination of some seeds which can save them from sprouting too early and getting killed by frost.  So far I have been lucky that my first round of corn seeds haven't come up yet since we got a little dusting of snow here, just a few days ago.  I think they will be in the clear if they come up in the next few days though.  It looks like the temps will start climbing from here.  If they survive the next few weeks, then I will have a bit of head start on the real frost free period which starts in a couple of weeks.  If not, then I will still have plenty of time to replant if I need to.  Some times spring plantings can be a gamble, but if you play your cards right, you can come out ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment